Sunday, November 28, 2010

Suggested reading "Chicago": See ripoff entitiled "Laredo"



In 1916, American poet Carl Sandburg published his brilliant poem "Chicago". It had been a while since I had read it but it has lost none of it's power even in this day of extremes. I've included the first couple of stanzas, followed by my blatantly obvious rip off  "Laredo".

CHICAGO

     HOG Butcher for the World,
     Tool Maker, Stacker of Wheat,
     Player with Railroads and the Nation's Freight Handler;
     Stormy, husky, brawling,
     City of the Big Shoulders:


They tell me you are wicked and I believe them, for I
     have seen your painted women under the gas lamps
     luring the farm boys.
And they tell me you are crooked and I answer: Yes, it
     is true I have seen the gunman kill and go free to
     kill again.


Laredo

     Truth Butcher for the World,
     Excuse Maker, Stacker of favors,
     Player with Railroads and the Nation's Truck Handler
     Swearing, heavy, brawling,
     City of the Big Shoulders and even Bigger Bellies:


They tell me you are wicked and I believe them, for I
     have seen your amusement centers under the lamps
     luring the poor among us.
And they tell me you are crooked and I answer: Yes, it
     is true I have seen the politicians steal and go free to
     steal again.



No comments:

Post a Comment