Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Wade Watch: Unedited letter from Tom Wade


Incidentally, Hal's Landing might be another of Tom Wade's favorite spots
 Recently, I asked via my blog about the Buck's and the financial status with the city of Laredo and whether Wade might have some knowledge on this. I extended an invitation to Tom Wade to respond and I mentioned I'd reproduce his letter un-edited. So, here's Mr. Wade's response. We, at laredotejas appreciate him taking time to respond. Here's from Tom Wade:

To Max, thanks for listening and your comments here about my show.  I admit I am very opioniated, and am a Republican.  I do however welcome debate, and will not be rude to those that will call me on the air.  I can always be reached on air.  I try to give out the number at least two or three times per show.  I so however miss giving out the number some days.  I will work on that.  However, I always read my email and will comment on anyone who sends me an e-mail (tom.wade@hotmail.com) and gives me permission to do so on the air. I am developing a website for the show that will have a blog and access to other community bloggers, and websites.  I would love to be able to provide your blog link to my listeners with your permission when the time comes.

As far as the arena goes, I look at it as such:  The arena is nothing more than a taxpayer funded park, or recreation center, except that the construction of the arena was voted on by taxpayers (1999 or 2000 I can't remember.)  We don't get to vote on adding parks or rec centers.  With over 60% of Laredo voters being in favor of the 1/4 cent tax increase the arena was funded and built.   The one difference between the arena and any park or recreation center, is that the arena provides a revenue stream that pays for a higher percentage (not all, as best I can tell) of operating cost. Now, am I saying that parks and rec centers need to pay for themselves, no, I would never expect that, as they are a quaility of life issue for the community. I hear the term "white elephant" used quite often.  Yet, I never hear those folks calling a rec center, or park a "white elephant."  I know there is a difference in that you have to pay for shows at the arena, but I also know hundreds if not thousands of tickets to varying events are given away or comped to many members of the community who cannot afford to atend events.  And that the city owns serveral dates at the arena that they can use for any type of free event they wish to sponsor. 

As far as my relationship with the Laredo Bucks, I am a "volunteer off ice official" with the Bucks.  I, as do all the off ice officials, receive two game tickets to give away for each game I work.  I also recieve a free meal pass for a sandwich or something from an arena food seller.  So, I would say my compenstation equals about $6.50 per hour per game if I was being paid a wage.  So you can see I have no financial interest in the Bucks.  I do however love hockey, so I guess I have that personal interest in the team.

I cannot comment on the fiscal health of the Bucks as I do not see their financials.  I have not read the lease agreement the city has with the Bucks or the arena management team, but I would guess that the Bucks probably don't pay rent to the city, but that the arena management team does.  I do know that there was a dispute about operating cost between the city and arena and that was resolved by the city picking up a large part of the operating cost.  I have been asking, but have been unable to get the exact operating cost vs. revenue generated for the city.  Remember the city makes a percent of everything sold at the arena.  But I cannot get my hands on that figure.  That would answer a lot of questions. On fiscal health, I agree with you that with attendance being down, they are not doing as well as they have in the past.  I too am concerned about this trend, as I do not want to see the Bucks leave Laredo (No, I  have not heard that they are leaving, and I would only find that out as would any citizen via local media releases).
I did however hear at one time, I think it was back during the run up to the vote on the arena, that it takes 2,500 people to go to the Bucks game for the team to break even. I konw the Bucks are averaging about 3,500 per game this season.  I am hoping that the economic situation will improve and that number will turn around.  There are many reasons attendance is down, and I will not go into those here. 

As far as tax cuts go, I believe everyone should get a reduction in taxes from today's levels.  Those that pay taxes, pay well over 50% of their income on taxes and fees paid to government.  This is entirely too much.  The rich are no different in my mind.  The rich pay federal taxes at a much higher rate than those in lower tax brackets.  Just look at the percentage of revenue they produce. 

This topic can lead to a very long debate/conversation that I would love to have, but I don't want to take up all your space here. Sorry for my rambling.

Thanks for the feedback. 
I try not to just to hear converstations, but I also try to listen to them.  
Feel free to email or call me anytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment