Thursday, February 17, 2011

Five minutes with Fox



I wanted to try a little experiment involving Fox News. Given it's notorious right-wing leaning stance and anti-Obama rhetoric, I decided to turn it on for 5 minutes and report on my findings. Almost as if on cue,  Fox's Martha McCallum and her guest started tearing into both illegal aliens and the Obama administration. The topic was a recent announcement by the White House to step up their monitoring and verification of employees' immigration status. McCallum went on to report that the number of work sites being monitored around the country would be increased.

Normally, any crackdown on illegal immigrants would be enthusiastically welcomed by the Fox crowd. The fact that it was Obama behind it prompted the fair and balanced team to go into attack mode. "Is the workplace really the place to catch illegals?" asked McCallum, "shouldn't it be on the border?". Her guest chimed in, "actually it should be both, there's 26 million people out of work in the US and most of those jobs are probably being held by illegals." I had heard estimates of up to 12 million illegals being in the country, but 26 million?

I was somewhat astonished but then I thought- "wait this isn't real news, it's Fox". All in all, It had taken me only about 3 minutes to find Fox serving up some old fashioned fear-mongering sprinkled with an unhealthy dose of hate for good measure. No wonder the Tea Party Brotherhood has such a skewed sense. 

3 comments:

  1. If they have to tell you they are "Fair and Balanced" they are not!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well no wonder they have to keep it as part of their logo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a former Laredoan and I love the Tea Party.
    It is time to shut the borders. I love Fox News also. They are fair and balanced. Thank God I left Laredo, people there are so shallow and hate conservatives.

    ReplyDelete